Sunday 6 March 2016


I smell the rain before I see it, and then when I do see it, I think to myself that it is like a mist of spores drifting to the ground in a wet, silvery haze. The woman sitting next to me at the bus shelter is watching a video on her phone. The earbud closest to me has begun to fray, and the wires stick out around her ear like static hairs. She is smiling slightly, so I assume it's a funny video. In the video, two men are yelling at each other. The camera flicks rapidly across the two men, their faces contorted in cartoonish fury, their mouths yammering open and shut silently like ventriloquist dummies. The woman breathes out a quiet laugh. Hah. The rain dances around my shoes, dampening my ankles.


From a buzzfeed quiz


Even though it is Autumn, the days are sticky and sky is the same static blue as a computer screen after a fatal error. Rain is still elusive, frustratingly so, only arriving at night after long, hot days. When it does come, the rain fizzes and crackles in the heat, bouncing off the pavement like rubber.

I'm trying to write but the words come just like the rain. Thin, electric wisps. Lists of words. Fragments of code. Tesseract, crepuscule, spangling, loam.




An incomplete mixtape of things:


  1. I'm completely obsessed with Jane Rawson's novella Formaldehyde. The book is small, tightly written and dances along the delightful boundary between beautiful and disgusting. I finished reading it a few days ago but I've been carrying around in my bag in the hope that its wonderful strangeness will rub off on me. I firmly believe it should be on every bestseller's list in the country so that everyone else can be weirded out by it too.
  2. This article about pores by Alesia Pullins which I think every pore owner should print out and stick on their bedroom wall.
  3. I really really really love Margiela's ridiculously ugly DIY sock sweater, the instructions for which you can find here. I'll let you know how it goes when I inevitably try to make one and fuck it up really badly.
  4. Valerie and her Week of Wonders, which you can find in full on youtube.


The rain has stopped and so have the words. For the sake of my creative writing course, I hope they both come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment